Do you have affinity with agriculture, food, activism and grassroots organising? ASEED Europe is looking for two or three enthusiastic people to join our campaign team in Amsterdam for a period of one year, starting in September 2018, as participant in the European Volunteer Service (EVS). We are a small grassroots action and campaign group, with people from various parts of Europe working and volunteering in the office. If you are not older than 30, speak English, and would like to join us, then maybe this is something for you. Read more below and get in touch!
Our work is focusing on two major fields under the Food Sovereignty umbrella: the links between food systems and climate change, and seeds. We regularly organise or participate in activities within those fields such as information sessions, festivals, European exchanges, etc. Key elements of the food / agriculture and climate change campaign in 2016-2017 were the publication of the brochure The Climate Crisis is a Food System Crisis and the organisation of the Food Autonomy Festival. In addition, ASEED collaborates with various groups and initiatives, from the local to the international scale. Examples are the Monsanto Tribunal and the annual Reclaim the Seeds event.
In the coming period we will focus on further developing our new “Fossil Free Agriculture” campaign, which aims to challenge the industrial food system by focussing on its fossil fuel dependence and climate change impacts. As an EVS-er, you will be contributing to realising these activities together with other team members. The main working language is English, but regularly some Dutch will seep through since our campaigns are primarily focused on the Netherlands. Your main task will be, together with the ASEED team, to follow up on the Fossil Free Agriculture campaign.
Other key tasks and responsibilities will vary depending on you skills and motivations but may include:
- contributing to strategic and campaign planning,
- following news/research on campaign topics,
- communications (website, social media use, writing articles and newsletter items),
- producing campaign materials (brochures, flyers, stickers, posters etc.)
- facilitate campaign and office meetings, workshops and presentations,
- setting up information activities such as dinners in various social centers in Amsterdam and the Netherlands,
- fundraising (benefit dinners, application writing),
- networking & info distribution (tabling at and participating in events, mail-outs),
- participating in general in ASEED office tasks.
- fluency in English,
- knowledge and interest in agriculture and food issues, and issues related to climate change,
- self-organised and capable of working independently with the support of the ASEED team,
- able to function well in a small team within a changing organisation,
- affinity with social and environmental struggles and activism in general,
- under the age of 30 and not of Dutch nationality (EVS general criteria).
- experience in grassroots activism,
- experience in working with a horizontal, non-hierarchical organisation,
- graphic design and / or other creative skills.
We also welcome proposals by EVS-candidates who wish to run a 1 year personal project within the range of ASEED’s current campaign goals. If you do, please send us a project outline of max. 800 words in addition to your motivation letter.
The position will be based in Amsterdam, at ASEED’s office, from September 2018 to September 2019. EVS provides a relatively low budget and can offer a financial compensation suitable for a sustainably sober lifestyle. We will also help you with finding accommodation in Amsterdam. If you are interested, please send your motivation letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org before Monday 2nd of April. Interviews (Skype) with selected candidates will be held in the following week, on 9-10-11 of April. Contact us by phone or email if you have any questions.