Do you have an affinity with activism, grass-roots organising, or campaigning on agriculture and food issues, as well as social justice? Are you concerned about climate change? Would you like to change our current food system towards a more fair and sustainable one? We are looking for three to four people to join the ASEED team in Amsterdam for a period of one year, starting in September 2019 as an ESC-er (European Solidarity Corps). If you are not older than 30 years, speak English, and would like to join us, then maybe this is something for you. Read more about it below and get in touch!
What is ASEED Europe?
ASEED Europe (Action for Sustainability, Environment, Equality and Diversity) is a small grassroots action and campaign group, with people from various parts of the world, Europe in particular, working and volunteering in the office in Amsterdam. ASEED targets the structural causes of environmental destruction and social injustice. At the same time, we promote sustainable alternatives. Our general campaign goal is to promote food autonomy. Although our focus is on environmental-related topics, we are a political organisation that believes that social justice in an important facet of solving environmental issues.
We support the rights of individuals and communities all around the world to determine their own lives. Therefore, we work with groups which promote local democracy and social justice, as well as taking these principles as a starting point in our own campaigns. We believe in freedom of movement, defend the rights of many, especially minorities and the oppressed, and support organizations which support refugees. Our commitment to equality is also reflected in our non-hierarchical working practices, whereby decisions are made by consensus.
Under the umbrella of the Fossil Free Agriculture campaign our work is currently focusing on the links between food systems and climate change. We regularly organise or participate in activities within those fields such as information sessions, festivals, European exchanges, etc. In addition, ASEED collaborates with various groups and initiatives, from the local to the international level. Examples are collaboration with the Free the Soil campaign, the promotion of community supported agriculture projects and active participation in the Monsanto Tribunal.
As an ESC-er, you will be helping out with realising these activities together with other team members. The main working language is English.
Your main task will be, together with the ASEED team, to follow up on the Fossil Free Agriculture campaign. You can find more information about our ideas, goals, and ways of working together for this campaign by checking About ASEED. There you will find links to our Mission Statement and Safer Space Policy.
Other key tasks and responsibilities will vary depending on you skills and motivations but may include:
- setting up information activities such as dinners in various social centers in Amsterdam and the Netherlands,
- facilitating and/or giving workshops and presentations,
- fund raising (benefit dinners, application writing),
- communications (website, social media use, writing articles and
- newsletter items),
- producing campaign materials (brochures, flyers, stickers, posters etc.),
- networking & info distribution (tabling at and participating in events, mail-outs),
- following news/research campaign topics,
- participating in general in ASEED office tasks. ( answering emails, keeping the office tidy, helping to plan agendas and facilitate meetings).
What do we ask:
- fluency in English,
- under the age of 30 (general ESC criteria),
- European nationality other than Dutch ( in combination with Dutch is fine, general ESC criteria),
- high motivation and sense of responsibility,
- experience in grassroots activism / organising,
- a desire to be working within a horizontal, non-hierarchical organisation,
- ability to function well as part of a small team within a dynamically developing campaign,
- knowledge and interest in agriculture and food issues, and issues related to climate change,
- affinity with social and environmental struggles and activism in general.
- graphic design and other creative skills,
- experience with media and marketing work,
- comfortable leading talks and panel discussions.
The position will be based in Amsterdam, at ASEED’s office, from September 2019 to September 2020. ESC provides a relatively low budget and can offer a small financial compensation. We will also help you with finding accommodation in Amsterdam. If you are interested, please send your motivation letter and CV to: email@example.com.
The deadline is April 7th, 2019. Short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for a (skype) interview by April 10th to be scheduled during the following week. Contact us by phone or email if you have any questions. Thank you and we are looking forward to reading your application!
Cover art: “Food Sovereignty” by Federico Boy Dominguez / Food First