Therefore, Friends of the Earth Europe and Corporate Europe Observatory launched a new campaign on Monday 18 March to stop new GMO approvals for cultivation in the EU: Stop the Crop!
A campaign website will go online – www.stopthecrop.org – that we hope will become a key tool in the fight against new GM crop approvals in the EU. It will in fact be a relaunch of the StoptheCrop website, with new content and tools.
This website contains:
– A campaign video (a trailer and a longer version) focusing on the disastrous impacts of GM crops, in particular herbicide resistant ones, both in food/feed and for people living in the areas where they are produced – examples are the US and Argentina.
– Basic texts explaining what is wrong with GM crops, and more in particular the ones that are in the pipeline: mostly herbicide-resistant crops and insecticide-producing (BT) crops.
– Take action petition tool. This will not be active right from the start.
– Campaign tools and resources, that people can use to inform and equip themselves more
Join the stop the Crop campaign:
– On the site you can register your email address to be kept updated, but a petition to national governments is not in place yet. This will happen on a critical moment, for instance as soon as the first GMOs that are now in the pipeline are actually on the agenda to be voted, or any other opportune moment.
– “like” and spread our facebook site. https://www.facebook.com/StopTheCrop
– Active on twitter? Use hashtag #stopthecrop
This project was initiated by Friends of the Earth Europe and Corporate Europe Observatory, and is supported by the European Coordination of Via Campesina, EEB, Genet, Inf OMG Romania, Food and Water Watch, GMWatch (UK), SaveourSeeds (Germany), SlowFood Germany, Slowfood Italy, Bioforum (Belgium), Oikos (Belgium), Climaxi (Belgium), AIAB (Italy) and Firab (Italy).